Before new technologies were used in education, everything was different. We’re telling you because we know this well: we were there. And you know what? The most fun you could have back then was a multi-colored pen. Who could have imagined using a Pokémon-themed digital escape room to learn English! (By the way, the Pokémon-themed escape room exists: In a little, we can show you).
Since the dawn of the Internet, the educational world has been undergoing a profound transformation. New technologies are already part of schools at any stage and are helping to improve the learning and teaching processes in different ways.
According to Blink Learning’s latest study on the use of new technologies in education, more than 65% of teachers say the use of technology motivates students.
The use of the new technologies reaches schools as a whole. It’s not only used in the classroom, but also in administration, in common areas… even in the cafeteria! Technology solutions help improve the day-to-day at schools in a variety of ways. Let’s look at some of those ways.
What are the benefits of new technologies for education?
Although it is much more, teaching is essentially a form of communication. The Internet has led to the emergence of new channels of communication, with which the possibilities for dissemination of and access to educational content are multiplied. All these channels and virtual spaces act as facilitators of learning.
- Thanks to digital tools, it’s possible to process and transmit any volume of information immediately, efficiently, and easily.
- Technology facilitates communication for the entire community involved in education: The administration, staff, families, or the student body itself.
- In the virtual world, it’s possible to create work environments and educational communities to share experiences and best practices that enhance student progress.
- The ease of communication that exists today allows you to track trends in educational progress.
- Educational materials and digital tools contribute to making the teaching-learning process more motivating and improving the classroom climate. In addition, they allow each educational center greater flexibility and personalization of the contents according to the needs of each student.
Let’s discuss some of the advantages of using new technologies in the classroom from the point of view of the two main agents of the educational process: teachers and students.
5 Benefits For Students
Thanks to the use of new technologies in the classroom, students:
1. Complete their education
The term ‘digital native’ seems to suggest that the date of birth determines one’s technological skill, when in reality this is not necessarily true. The fact that they use a mobile phone or surf for hours on the internet does not mean that they know how to use digital tools correctly, or that they know their full potential or are aware of their dangers. The digital world is a new reality, a new space that education must contemplate.
Teachers have the opportunity to accompany and guide students in their first digital steps to instill judgment, develop their critical capacity and generally teach how to make good use of the online world.
2. Learn by doing
Today’s generation prefers to experiment, explore and discover knowledge. Learning by doing is part of the most innovative and most effective educational approaches.
For example, thanks to technology, it is possible to create interactive content. This type of content is much more effective in attracting attention and engaging students. Interactivity increases their participation and helps them learn concepts. Look at this example. I bet you can’t resist solving it!
Technology is a facilitator for learning. And more at the moment where it offers us virtual environments and gives us all the flexibility necessary for each student to use digital content whenever and in the way they want, adapting to their personal way of learning.
Digital content creation platforms provide the opportunity to customize teaching and learning, create unique experiences for students to learn at their own pace. So-called learning landscapes, for example, emerged as a didactic tool that combines different methodologies and allows different itineraries to be offered to each student.
Genially Academy: Learning Landscapes
3. Become the center of learning
Using computers and other devices in conjunction with digital tools allows students to take on a much more proactive role and be at the center of the process. The teacher becomes a guide to this process and the efficiency of learning is improved.
4. Learn in a meaningful way
Digital tools make it easier to apply classroom strategies such as gamification or methodologies such as flipped classroom that maximize learning.
Technology helps us make teaching more motivating and meaningful by boosting excitement for learning.
When our brain enjoys something, it better assimilates the concepts. In addition, creating a relaxed environment increases interest and reduces classroom stress, increasing learning.
Genially Academy: Creating awesome escape games: Breakouts in Genially
5. Prepare for the future
Digital tools help us develop skills that will be necessary for students’ professional performance, such as problem solving, creating thought structures, and understanding processes. They are also preparing for an increasingly uncertain and changing future in which technology will take a key place.
Why use technology in education? 5 Benefits For Teachers
Applying new technologies, teachers can:
1. Educate based on the real needs of their students
The skills and abilities that students acquire will be key to their professional future. We also want to educate our students not just as learners, but also as people. Therefore, it’s important to convey best practices and principles in both the online and offline world.
2. Reach their educational goals more quickly
Digital channels and tools enable the most innovative and effective educational strategies to be applied, facilitating the transmission of knowledge and making the whole process more motivating.
3. Design their own teaching resources
With digital tools, creating educational resources such as infographics, games, videos, and more is available to any teacher. You can adapt or create your own resources to work on the transversal and multi-disciplinary competencies you consider most important.
4. Boost their digital teaching skills
Using digital tools allows us to stay up-to-date on the use of ICTs and helps us improve the increasingly relevant digital teaching competence.
5. Develop their creativity
With the use of new technologies, each teacher can create their content and support materials, developing their most creative side to customize learning.
Genially, the educational community’s favorite tool
Genially has many advantages for teaching, and that’s why thousands of teachers and students use our platform to teach and learn, communicate and create. The Genius Centers initiative, created to foster interactive learning, is a good example of Genially’s commitment to the educational community.
Here are some of Genially’s features that are most valued by faculty and students:
- Genially is an online platform, with easy access from any device and place
- Genially has thousands of templates and resources created especially for the educational community.
- It’s a very intuitive tool. It’s easy to create interactive digital content.
- Genially integrates with leading LMS like Moodle and Canvas, as well as with Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams and many other tools used by the educational community, such as Kahoot and Wakelet.
- No downloading required. Geniallys are shared with a link.
- Schools can work collaboratively by sharing resources and creations, including in each creation elements of their identity, such as the school colors, logo, images…
- It’s possible to import old PowerPoint content into Genially and renew it, giving it new life.
- Genially adapts to any methodology and strategy, enabling educational innovation.
- Students create their own content, which boosts their creativity and helps them learn to express themselves.
How about testing Genially to start taking advantage of new technologies in education? In addition to being free, you’ll also find the Inspiration section where other teachers have shared their content.
There are lots of geniallys for any educational level, and many of them are reusable. Try them in your classes, you’re going to leave your students speechless!
The most productive thing is to try to understand the changes and take advantage of the opportunities they bring us. If a game of Pokémon helps us teach and learn verbs in English, it’ll be better than spending hours memorizing a page, don’t you think? And, as Miguel D’Addario says, ‘Books will change in format or form, but they will never disappear.’